Thursday, September 6, 2012

Pumpkin & Squash Soup

You know those little pumpkins that we all use to dress our fall table? The ones that usually fill the cornucopia. Yes, the decorative ones!
 
 
Well, they're edible and delicious! These are the ones used in the Pumpkin and Squash Soup I made for dinner tonight. This soup isn't all that soupy, more of a chili consistency. 
 
Important note: If you purchase these pumpkins at your local grocery store, you'll want to clean them very carefully. Sometimes they are coated with a wax to preserve and shine them for decorative purposes. You'll end up with a waxy mess if you don't clean them well. I got mine from a local farmer's market. These were not coated...I asked.

I also added two other varieties of squash, hence the name, Pumpkin & Squash Soup.


Here's how I started. First you'll want to slice the mini pumpkins and the squash in half and remove the seeds. Don't toss them out! You can roast them up for a yummy snack or salad topper!                                         

Slice some Granny Smith apples in half and remove the core.

Drizzle with a little extra virgin olive oil and roast them up in your preheated 400 degree oven. It only takes about 20 - 30 minutes to get them where you want them to be - soft but not mushy.

While that's happening, you can prep the rest of the soup. Chop some bell pepper - I used red - onion, celery and carrots. Saute those up to your desired consistency.
 
After the squash, pumpkins and apples are done roasting, let them cool to a good temperature that you can handle them. Here's another optional part. You can remove all or some of the skin. I removed some and left some. Cut the roasted items into small enough pieces for your blender or food processor and puree them with some Swanson's Chicken Stock. @SwansonChicken
 
 
Pour your puree into a stew pot and mix in your bell pepper, carrots, celery and onion.
At this point add your seasonings. I used black pepper, seasoned salt, cumin, thyme, paprika and onion powder. I never measure seasonings, so add to your family's liking.
Cook on medium low to blend the seasonings and heat the soup, about 15 - 20 minutes. This would be a great time to prepare the toppings. These are your choice. I used bacon (thick sliced in the 350 degree oven until crisp), cherry tomatoes (cut in half) diced avocado and Queso Fresco cheese.




For my Texas people, @HEB has a delicious Hill Country Fair brand Queso Fresco made with part skim milk.
Serve with your choice of toppings and sprinkled with parsley.

 
This was a wonderful and filling meal. Full of fiber and goodness. It doesn't take much bacon to get the flavor.
 
So there you have it. Pumpkin & Squash Soup. Enjoy!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment