Let me explain - I thought I had read that it was made with Devil's Food Cake mix. When I got home with the cake mix it was a frantic search to find a new recipe since the one I have calls for actual brownie mix. D'oh! Well, that just goes right along with the kind of day I've been having today.
I did find a black bean cake recipe. So that's what I used.
A bit of back story for ya. Besides being on a weight loss / get fit journey, I also have a son who has reactive hypoglycemia. The easiest way to explain this is like an airplane landing. You know how a plane slowly declines in altitude until it reaches the ground and rolls to a stop? Most people's blood glucose level out at a steady pace - dropping slowly until they reach the normal range just like that airplane. A person with reactive hypoglycemia? Their plane takes a nose dive and crashes to a stop when they reach the ground. This is why these patients need frequent small meals and snacks. Basically they should eat every three hours. Their diet is also restricted to minimal to no sugar. Limit carbohydrates. Increase the protein and fiber. This is fine, I appreciate the fact that my son's sugar intake needs to be closely monitored. This includes sugar naturally occurring in food - fruits and vegetables. So we switched him to diet everything. The only sugar he was getting came from the natural source. Fruits and veggies. Protein? Yeah, right. Hot dogs, hamburgers and chicken nuggets. Those are the meats that he will eat.
I don't like the potential risks associated with artificial sweeteners. Personally, I'm allergic to most of them. The boy has no allergy, thankfully, but I still don't like the risks.
And that is what made me decide to try the Black Bean
The recipe goes like this:
1 box (any brand) chocolate cake mix
1 can black beans
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
Puree the beans, add the applesauce and cake mix, bake. Simple. This increases the protein and fiber in the cake, counteracting the sugar content.
Our thoughts:
Husband: "Could be sweeter"
5 year-old: "It's yummy mommy!"
Me: I agree with both of them. Maybe it's the Devils Food that just isn't sweet enough. I personally could taste the beans. Maybe it was psychological since I made the cake and knew the beans were in there. I don't know.
The 5 year-old's reaction is enough for me. The older boys are at their father's house for the weekend, so I cannot get a reaction from them at this time.
I will try this again, using brownie mix at the next attempt. The way I see it, you satisfy your sweet tooth with something fiber and protein rich. Score!
No comments:
Post a Comment