I have a big family. Ok, nothing like the Duggers - what are they, up to 20 kids now I think? - but bigger than the stereo typical mommy, daddy, sister and brother. For us it's mommy, daddy, brother, brother, brother, brother and grandpa. Yes, you read that right. I said brother four times how old are those brothers? 18, 16, 15 and 6. So with all these boys, I'm always looking for budget friendly ways to feed everyone. And, as moms with athletic children (especially boys) know, EVERYTHING is a challenge. EVERYTHING! Including meals.
In true mom fashion, I've given myself a challenge that may seem impossible. I am going to feed all of these people (7 if you lost count) for two nights using four chicken thighs. WHAT!? Has this woman lost her mind? Probably. ;)
I've tried to upload pics. Can't figure out how from my phone. I will post them on Facebook and try to post a link for them.
Night one - success. I started out by boiling all 4 of the thighs, then separated them into two packs. The first pack, 2 thighs just so we're clear, I shredded the meat. Diced an onion and a yellow squash and sautéed those in EVOO while thawing some frozen green peas. Then I made 2 cups of whole wheat organic couscous. Mixed all of this together in a pot. The verdict:
18 year old - "that was good! And surprisingly filling. I mean I didn't expect to like it? But I did."
17 year old - "it's ok, but it's kinda spicy."
15 year old - "did you have to put peas in it? Well, it's ok. But not a favorite."
6 year old - "I like it mommy. (He) tricked you. It's not spicy."
Grandpa - "that's pretty good."
Dad - well, he's at work until 3am, so I won't have his reaction until tomorrow.
Mommy - considering going back for seconds.
I call that chicken challenge part 1 a success. What will happen for part 2? Come back tomorrow and find out. :)
Chicken Challenge Pics
Hope that photo link works. Let me know in the comments if the link works for you, as well as your thoughts on this recipe.
Until tomorrow
~ The Princess
No comments:
Post a Comment